Courchevel EUR118 million 7 year ski area planHuge Courchevel ski area upgrade
A new Courchevel development plan spanning 7 years will see a total of €118 million invested in the Courchevel ski area. The town council have released in-depth plans within the minutes from their latest council meeting, the document covers improvements to the ski area and lift infrastructure in Courchevel 1850, 1650, 1550, Le Praz and Pralong.
The development plan was instigated by concerns expressed by the Courchevel mayor on the increasingly out-dated Courchevel lift infrastructure, putting pressure on the lift company, the Societe des 3 Vallees (S3V), to improve the ski area.
The council minutes highlight that a number of ski lifts have not been replaced (in their entirety) for over 30 years and a number of new standards for the ski lift company will need to be met.
The 118 million Euros will be spread over the years and between the satellite resorts of Courchevel.
In Courchevel 1650, the 29 million Euro allocation of the budget will include:
- Removal of the Trois Vallees chairlift
- Ariondaz gondola to be replaced with two new gondolas (Courchevel 1650 - Belvedere and Belvedere - Bel Air) due 2013
- New Marquis chairlift for improved ski from door opportunities due 2013
- New piste to expand on the ski area reached from the Chaplets chairlift
- New kids club area on the Belvedere sector
Over on the Pralong/Altiport area, 6.1 million Euros will go towards:
- New garage for piste bashers in a more discrete area
- Snow canons for improved snow cover on the Cospillot piste
Whilst over in Courchevel 1850, 1550 and Le Praz, 13 million Euros will contribute towards:
- Replacement Biollay chairlift with new high speed 6-man chairlift due 2012
- Snow canons for improved snow cover on the Creux piste
- Liaison piste from the Grande Combe to the Cospillot piste with artificial snow cover
- Enlargered range of piste bashers to improve quality of ski area
The plans will undoubtedly undergo modifications over the course of the 7 year plan, but Courchevel, along with Meribel, have shown a commitment towards improving the ski area and ski lift system which will indeed entice skiers to the Three Valleys.